Ed-Fi Boot Camp & Summit 2016
Ed-Fi ODS Community Briefing: July 21, 2015
Take a look at the features, functionalities, and improvements, insight into how states, including Wisconsin and Michigan, are already benefiting, and what vendors need to know to interface with agency systems.
Version 2.0 Release Now Available: Get Started with Ed-Fi’s New Operational Data Store and Accompanying API
The Ed-Fi Community regularly pools its knowledge to help the Alliance upgrade our technology components — and help you keep pace with the evolving education environment. The public release of the Ed-Fi Operational Data Store (ODS) and accompanying Application Program Interface (API), version 2.0 is now available.
State and Local School Districts
The Ed-Fi ODS is an information repository that combines standardized data for education agencies who want a simpler, more cost-effective way of connecting and maintaining systems and collecting data. It bridges the gap between disparate systems, ensuring information is consistent across all applications and providing a comprehensive view of student performance.
The new Ed-Fi ODS allows agencies to:
- Maintain local control – Be your own data steward, keeping your systems free of vendor dependencies.
- Get up and running quickly – Download and install pre-built software that gives you
functionality “out of the box”.
- Exchange and catalog thousands of elements – Power all your applications with a single source of near real-time data, helping you to support personalized learning at scale.
- Support educators’ choice – Provide freedom of choice for the tools and applications best-suited to serve the needs of teachers and students.
The Ed-Fi ODS API provides methods for easily creating, reading and updating data among various systems employed by a district. With the Ed-Fi ODS API, you don’t have to customize integration for every district. You get data standards born of practical needs that help drive down cost and you get market reach that helps you accelerate your business.
The new Ed-Fi ODS API allows vendors to:
- Update only the data of interest – Easily and securely exchange data amongst your customers’ systems in near real-time without the need for cumbersome or one-off integrations.
- Repurpose work – Dedicate your time to improving products, not to developing site specific solutions.
- Accelerate your business – Scale products and services amongst states and districts nationwide by using open and widely adopted technology born of practical needs.
The latest version of Ed-Fi Dashboards 1.3 is an illustration of the
leadership, innovation, collaboration, and action taking place in the Ed-Fi Community. Ed-Fi Dashboards
empower educators with real-time, actionable data on every student in their classrooms, schools, districts,
New Features of Ed-Fi Dashboards 1.3:
- Dynamic Watch Lists – contributed by Arkansas DOE
- Standards Mastery View – contributed by Delaware DOE
- Plug-in Architecture – contributed by Pennsylvania DOE
- ETL Enhancements
Ed-Fi Community Snapshot
Active participants of the Ed-Fi Community are leading the movement to improve K-12 education for students by unlocking the potential of data using community proven, research based technology that is informed by educators. These innovative technology contributions are made by the educational community, for the betterment of the educational community. The Ed-Fi Alliance strengthens these contributions and releases them in quick succession to continue advancing the education market in ways that improve the quality and lower the cost of systems designed to integrate student level data for educators.
“The opportunities to leverage each other’s work are enormous. It accelerates everything to a degree that
would have been impossible.”– Richard Charlesworth, CIO, Tennessee Dept. of Education
Get Involved in the Ed-Fi Community
- Contact Us for additional questions regarding the Ed-Fi Community or more ways to get
- License the Ed-Fi Data Standard and Ed-Fi Implementation Suite of
technology components to get started now
- Visit Tech Docs for more technical information and instructions on accessing and
contributing to technical code repositories
Who’s Using Ed-Fi To Improve K-12 Education?
The Ed-Fi Community is a collaboration of ed tech leaders across the nation that are actively
engaged in promoting the use of the Ed-Fi Data Standard and suite of technology including state
education agencies, school districts, regional service agencies, vendors and more.
Schools and School Districts
Public agency licensees represent 25 states and include more than 10,000 school districts from across the nation.
Vendors & Non-profit Organizations
Vendors and non-profit licensees provide products and services for public education agencies to
improve interoperability between their own education data systems.