At the Ed-Fi Alliance, we approach data security, privacy and confidentiality by supporting transparency, engaging in open dialogue, and restricting the commercialization of data to ensure educators can focus on what is most important – understanding the individual needs of students, and determining what interventions or programs will best help them succeed.
Data privacy, security and confidentiality are critical elements of measuring student outcomes.
- We see enormous potential: The right data, used in the right ways, empowers teachers and parents to improve student learning and achievement.
- This isn’t new: State education agencies, school districts and educators have been collecting attendance, standardized test scores, grades and transcripts for years.
- A collective effort is required: The process of turning private data into real-time, actionable information for educators and parents requires a coordinated effort.
- We’re doing our part: As the technical foundation for this coordinated effort, we take seriously our responsibility for safeguarding data privacy.
Ed-Fi Alliance does not collect or store individually identifiable student data. Data belongs in district or state agency environments.
- The Ed-Fi Data Standard and suite of technology components standardize the way data is assembled to provide teachers with useful information about their students, all in one place.
- Designated teachers and administrators can securely access information for actionable student insights with assurance that the information is kept confidential.
- Individually identifiable data stays safely in the school district or state agency’s domain, under its privacy controls.
- As a service to licensees, Ed-Fi Alliance accepts de-identified, simulated data only for the purposes of validation testing. Such data is deleted up completion of the tests.
Ed-Fi Alliance advocates for the highest level of security and confidentiality measures by our partners.
- As an industry, we must ensure there are secure ways to access critical information for instructional planning and improvement.
- We support strict use of student data for educational purposes only. Student data should never be used for marketing purposes of any kind.
- We partner with integrators, application providers, and system vendors to ensure districts and state agencies have complete control over security, driven by local privacy settings.
- With the Ed-Fi Data Standard as the foundation, our partners help agencies ensure that only chosen educators and administrators, with the right permissions, can analyze insights and access secure information.
Important Resources from the Data Quality Campaign