At the Ed-Fi Alliance, we approach data security, privacy and confidentiality by supporting transparency, engaging in open dialogue, and restricting the commercialization of data to ensure educators can focus on what is most important – understanding the individual needs of students, and determining what interventions or programs will best help them succeed.
Data privacy, security and confidentiality are critical elements of measuring student outcomes.
- We see enormous potential: The right data, used in the right ways, empowers teachers and parents to improve student learning and achievement.
- This isn’t new: State education agencies, school districts and educators have been collecting attendance, standardized test scores, grades and transcripts for years.
- A collective effort is required: The process of turning private data into real-time, actionable information for educators and parents requires a coordinated effort.
- We’re doing our part: As the technical foundation for this coordinated effort, we take seriously our responsibility for safeguarding data privacy.
Ed-Fi Alliance does not collect or store individually identifiable student data. Data belongs in district or state agency environments.
- The Ed-Fi Data Standard and suite of technology components standardize the way data is assembled to provide teachers with useful information about their students, all in one place.
- Designated teachers and administrators can securely access information for actionable student insights with assurance that the information is kept confidential.
- Individually identifiable data stays safely in the school district or state agency’s domain, under its privacy controls.
- As a service to licensees, Ed-Fi Alliance accepts de-identified, simulated data only for the purposes of validation testing. Such data is deleted up completion of the tests.
Ed-Fi Alliance advocates for the highest level of security and confidentiality measures by our partners.
- As an industry, we must ensure there are secure ways to access critical information for instructional planning and improvement.
- We support strict use of student data for educational purposes only. Student data should never be used for marketing purposes of any kind.
- We partner with integrators, application providers, and system vendors to ensure districts and state agencies have complete control over security, driven by local privacy settings.
- With the Ed-Fi Data Standard as the foundation, our partners help agencies ensure that only chosen educators and administrators, with the right permissions, can analyze insights and access secure information.
Additional Resources: Data Quality Campaign