Ed-Fi’s decision making is effective because leaders representing every area of the education technology sector are stepping up, volunteering their time and expertise. We run work groups around major topics identified by our community at events to conduct research and identify the best solutions for all involved.
When we say we’re community-led, we mean it.
Here’s a look at our active Community Work Groups and where they are in the problem-solving process:
|Community Work Group||Initiative||Understand Community Needs What's Involved?||Propose Early Solutions What's Involved?||Propose Community Solutions What's Involved?||Solicit Feedback to Available Solution What's Involved?||Completed Deliverables What's Involved?|
|Assessment Workgroup||Assessment Certification Data Gathering||Current|
|Cross-Indexing Learning Standards||Current|
|Social Emotional Learning||Current|
|Learning App Usage||Current|
|Reporting and Visualization Work Group||Technical MVP||Current|
|Special Education Workgroup||Use Case Definition||Current|
|Teacher Preparation Workgroup||Survey API||Current|
|TPDM Model & API||Current|
|State Education Agency Work Group||Chartering SEA Workgroup||Current|
|Collaboratives Work Group||Chartering Collaboratives Work Group||Current|
|Completed Work Groups||Internationalization: Next Generation Data Model Concepts||Current|
|Finance: Ed-Fi RFC - Finance API||Current|
The following groups and individuals are currently spearheading our advisory groups and work groups—conducting research, sharing knowledge, and contributing to key community-led decisions.
The Leadership Council
The education community as a whole is, as it should be, always evolving. New ideas and initiatives constantly push us to rethink what student success means, how we measure it, and how we support it. We launched our Leadership Council to keep the goal of student success as our north star at all levels of our community governance.
We look to this Leadership Council to help us understand the direction that education policy and practice is headed and how we can develop technologies to meet the needs of tomorrow. Members of this council include state education agency leaders, superintendents, university leaders, and key community partners positioned to push our thinking on how data should be used to support student learning and outcomes.
- Susan Bunting, Secretary of Education, Delaware Department of Education
- Kirsten Baesler, Superintendent of Public Instruction, North Dakota Department of Public Instruction
- Margie Vandeven, Commissioner of Education, Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Kelly Staley, Superintendent, Chico Unified School District (CA)
- Scott Muri, Superintendent, Ector County Independent School District (TX)
- James Tager, Superintendent, Flagler County Public Schools (FL)
- Patricia Alvarez McHatton, Executive Vice President, University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley
- Carissa Moffat Miller, Executive Director, Council of Chief State School Officers
- Ross Santy, Associate Commissioner, National Center for Education Statistics
The 2021 Governance Advisory Team
Our Governance Advisory Team serves as the formal liaison between the Ed-Fi Community and our internal team, coordinating the collection and review of educator, IT, and business perspectives. They’re working closely with the Ed-Fi team to ensure our governance structure is democratic, effective, and that all voices of the sector are heard.
|Work Groups and Technical Advisory Group|
|Ed-Fi Alliance and MSDF|
These community-led groups are devoted to specific areas of focus and form the foundation of our governance structure. The community workgroups currently active include:
Led by Dean Folkers, Nebraska Department of Education and Ted Dwyer, Pittsburgh Public Schools and facilitated by Cesare Tise.
Led by Rosh Dhanawade, Indiana University/INSITE and facilitated by David Clements.
Led by Monica Hogan, Boston Public Schools and facilitated by Sean Casey.
Led by Mark Olofson, Texas Education Agency and Tiffany Fernandez, Relay Graduate School of Education and facilitated by Lindsey Judd.
Led by Debbie Dailey, Indiana Department of Education and facilitated by Sayee Srinivasan.
Led by Noah Bookman, California Core Districts Collaborative facilitated by Sean Casey.
The 2021-22 Technical Advisory Group
The Ed-Fi Technical Advisory Group digs deep into the gnarly technical issues blocking our community’s collective path toward more secure, useful student data. This year, the following individuals are devoting significant time and resources to furthering the Ed-Fi mission by serving on our Technical Advisory Group.
- Arizona Department of Education – Rohith Chintamanen
- ClassLink – Patrick Devanney
- Education Analytics – Andrew Rice
- EdWire – Jean-Francois Guertin
- Indiana University INsite – Rosh Dhanawade
- Infinite Campus – Mindy DuFault
- InnovateEDU – Patrick Yoho
- Instructure – Jim McKay
- Leon County Schools – LaQuinta Extine
- Nebraska Department of Education – David Hefley
- PowerSchool – Doug Quinton
- San Diego County Office of Education an Diego – John Watson
- South Carolina Department of Education – Daniel Ralyea
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction – Audrey Shay
- Ed-Fi Alliance, Eric Jansson
Ed-Fi Community members can view all of our community work groups, as well as our special interest groups, in TechDocs (Ed-Fi Community login required). You can contact email@example.com to get involved!